Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I have always looked at my kid's names as goals....

Tonight Bodhi asked who the Buddha was after looking up at the statue on my dresser.
(I brought this Buddha back from Taiwan in 1990.)

I tried to explain that the Buddha was a person who figured out a way to escape the suffering of the world and he created a method in which we could do the same. I told Bodhi it is good for him to understand this story because 'bodhi' and 'buddha' come from the same root and all his life he was going to have to explain his name's meaning to people.

 I have always looked at my kid's names as goals. If Bodhi could be Awakened and Sage could be Wise that would be fine with me as a parent.


One of my favorite things about Bodhi is how much he likes to help. Maybe it is just the one-on -one time with me, maybe it is the praise i give him, ...regardless he just is a joy in the kitchen. Always getting things i ask for, putting away silverware, putting things in the recycling.

As he grows who he is becomes clearer, and yes he is a wanger but he also has this love of helping.

 I try and remember back when i was five, did I help out like that?

Then there is Sage. 



One of her many talents is being able to study you and give a  perfect present. She is well on her way to being her name.


Before she was born I spoke to James Mansfield, a camera guy I work with about the impending birth of his first kid (of two) Jordan (a girl). I said, "James aren't you afraid of bringing a kid into this earth to face the impending apocalypse?  He replied, "Derek you can't think of it that way. You have to think, My kid is going to be the one to save the planet, like Sarah Jordan in Terminator 2.--- No Fate."

This has always resonated with me. So I have set high goals for my kids (myself is a different story).

A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at.
 
-Bruce Lee More Bruce Lee Quotes

No comments: