Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Theme of Signal to Noise


In Audio there is a term Signal to Noise.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signal-to-noise_ratio I was thinking yesterday about how this applies to facebook and twitter. There is so much noise but not always much content. So instead of posting on facebook and adding to the noise I will now run this blog. It will be a derek's debris of sorts.

Year's ago I discovered a term "Infotoxin" in a magazine called "AdBusters" The term resonated with me. Here is a definition ----


INFOTOXIN is "the pollution or degradation of our information environment." It is "misinformation, propaganda, most forms of advertising, as well as the sheer abundance of mediocrity and consumption persuasion which assaults the mind from the face of the tube of the glossy pages of the high-glam magazine. It is not necessarily a conspiracy to subvert the global mind but a systemic effect resulting from the net actions of many groups of like-minded people motivated by the same values and attempting to proliferate these values using an entire spectrum of modern mass-communication techniques." http://www.regainyourbrain.org/regain_articles/jeff%20phillips%20articles/infotoxin%20definitions.htm

I feel we need to detox all these infotoxins and focus our awareness on our actions. I find if i quiet my mind and follow my breath- I can be mindful of what I am doing and this leads to a better quality of life. I feel I can respond instead of react.

It is difficult to do. I often fail. But I return to my breath and use that as a ground to stand upon. My goal is to provide Signal in my actions and my words.

No comments: